The Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety qualification is aimed at candidates working as a health and safety practitioner, in a position of responsibility for the health, safety and welfare of a team or organisation. The qualification is generic and appropriate for individuals working in a range of sectors.
The awarding body for this qualification is ProQual Awarding Body and the regulatory body is the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). The specification for this qualifications has been approved by the Council for the Curriculum Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) for use by centres in Northern Ireland.
This qualification has been accredited onto the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF).
- Candidate must complete all of the Mandatory Units, plus a minimum of TWO optional Units.
- T/618/4530 Environmental Management
This qualification is competence-based, candidates must demonstrate the level of competence described in the units. Assessment is the process of measuring a candidate’s skill, knowledge and understanding against the standards set in the qualification.
The qualification must be internally assessed by an appropriately experienced and qualified assessor.
Each candidate is required to produce a portfolio of evidence which demonstrates their achievement of all of the learning outcomes and assessment criteria for each unit.
Evidence can include: (1) observation report by assessor; (2) assignments/projects/reports; (3) professional discussion; (4) witness testimony; (5) candidate product; (6) worksheets; (7) record of oral and written questioning; (8) Recognition of Prior Learning.
Learning outcomes set out what a candidate is expected to know, understand or be able to do.
Assessment criteria specify the standard a candidate must meet to show the learning outcome has been achieved.
- Candidates who achieve the requirements for qualifications will be awarded:
• A certificate listing all units achieved, and
• A certificate giving the full qualification title – ProQual Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
What Will You Learn?
- 1. Be able to identify the hazards and evaluate the risks in the workplace.
- 2. Be able to reduce the risks to health and safety in the workplace.
- 3. Know how to reduce risks to health and safety in the workplace.
- 4. Be able to develop procedures for maintaining a healthy and safe workplace.
- 5. Be able to review the effectiveness of health and safety procedures in the workplace.
- 6. Be able to communicate health and safety procedures to others in the workplace.
- 7. Know the legal responsibilities for health and safety.
- 8. Be able to check that health and safety instructions are followed.
- 9. Be able to recommend changes to health and safety workplace instructions.
- 10. Be able to make sure that hazards and risks are controlled safely and effectively.
- 11. Know how to monitor procedures to safely control work operations.
- 12. Be able to develop plans to promote a health and safety culture in the workplace.
- 13. Implement the plan to promote a health and safety culture in the workplace.
- 14. Be able to monitor and review plan to promote health and safety culture in the workplace.
- 15. Know reasons for promoting a health and safety culture in the workplace.
- 16. Be able to prepare for a workplace risk assessment.
- 17. Be able to identify hazards in the workplace.
- 18. Be able to conduct a risk assessment of the workplace.
- 19. Be able to review risk assessment.
- 20. Know the employer's responsibility for risk assessments as required by current legislation.
- 21. Be able to investigate and report workplace incidents and complaints in accordance with legal and workplace requirements.
- 22. Be able to make recommendations as a result of workplace investigations.
- 23. Know the employers' and employees' legal responsibilities for health and safety in the workplace.
- 24. Be able to identify risks to the environment arising from the workplace.
- 25. Be able to minimise the risks to the environment arising from the workplace.
- 26. Know the legislation relating to environmental matters that affect own workplace.
- 27. Be able to undertake a review of health and safety in the workplace.
- 28. Be able to carry out a review of workplace health and safety.
- 29. Know how to review health and safety procedures in workplaces.
- 30. Prepare for and receive a trainee in the workplace.
- 31. Supervise, monitor and review the health, safety and welfare of a learner in the workplace.
- 32. Know how to introduce a trainee to the workplace.
ProQual – Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
Course Material & PPT00:00
Mandatory Units – complete all units
T/602/1912 – Ensure responsibility for actions to reduce risks to health and safety00:00
L/601/6408 – Develop procedures to safely control work operations00:00
F/601/9354 – Monitor procedures to safely control work operations00:00
F/601/6633 – Promote a culture of health and safety in the workplace00:00
H/601/6687 – Conduct a health and safety risk assessment of the workplace00:00
Optional Units – a minimum of TWO units
F/601/6664 – Investigate and evaluate health and safety incidents and complaints in the workplace00:00
J/601/6701 – Make sure actions in the workplace aim to protect the environment00:00
M/601/6837 – Review health and safety procedures in the workplace00:00
Y/601/6847 – Supervise the health, safety and welfare of a learner in the workplace00:00